Sunday, February 17, 2013

Clara Oswin Oswald: A Theory

    I watch Doctor Who. I love Doctor Who. I've even written episodes of Doctor Who, which I would quite gladly show Steven Moffat. I created new companions, who are stellar, if I do say so myself. The companions story lines are completely drawn out, and they are sufficiently wibbly wobbly and timey wimey. You hear that, Moffat? Wibbly Wobbly! Anyway, this post is for Doctor Who fans. Not that non-fans can't read it..., but it won't make any sense to you, so feel free to skip it.

SPOILER ALERT: If you haven't watched the first half of the 7th series, run. Run now!


    Recently we met Clara Oswin Oswald, the new and befuddling companion. Oswin, as we knew her at first, was the brilliant woman who'd been turned into a Dalek, but was in a spectacular state of denial about it. In the episode, we discover that she is a "total, screaming genius." She helps The Doctor, Amy, and Rory *tear, sniff*, escape from The Asylum of the Daleks. While assisting them, she does the unforeseeable and erases The Doctor from the Daleks collective memory, causing the race of bellowing, murderous, squids to cry in an unending cacophony, "Doctor who? Doctor who?!" Then she reappeared as Clara, the governess and barmaid, who helps save England from horrifying, carnivorous snowmen. 
    At the end of these episodes, she does two things: 1) She tells The Doctor, "Run, clever boy, and remember!" 2) She dies. Yes, it's very sad, but you get over it, because the intrigue caused by this character is understandably greater than normal. As a result of this intrigue there have been an outrageous number of theories. Most of which, I have to say, sort of suck. Yep, I said it. I'm sorry. I happen to have a theory, a theory I am loath to share by any other mode, because if it turns out I'm right, I want concrete evidence that I, Abbie Karlish, the unlikely genius, with the help of my sister Jessie and my dear friend Shalyn, wove together this theory. So, here goes...

The Theory:

    Clara Oswin Oswald is The Master or possibly a tool devised by him.

The Evidence:

1. Memory
    In the 5th series, the 11th Doctor's first season, we encounter a crack in the universe which devours everything it comes in contact with, effectively erasing them from time. The cracks wipe out Rory, and The Doctor says something - not for the last time, "If something can be remembered, it can be brought back." This comes into play when The Doctor himself is erased from time, and Amelia Pond, wonderful Amelia Pond, remembers him and brings him back.
    In the 6th series, we are introduced to The Silence, a religious order, which hinges on one fundamental belief: Silence will fall when The Question is asked. The Question being, "Doctor who?" Clara gave us The Question. Interesting. 
    The Silence is also what we call a species of melty-faced, impeccably dressed, electricity-bending aliens, which one is unable to remember once one has looked away from them. We don't know why, but it is terrifying! 
    Memory has played a gigantic role in 11's plot lines. Why? Why is memory always the focus? Even with Clara Oswin Oswald, who is constantly saying, "Run...and remember?"


2.  The Silence
    The Silence seems hellbent on destroying The Doctor. The Silence even created the perfect assassin to ice him: River Song. Unfortunately for them, that backfired. But The Silence still wants The Doctor dead, and The Question, which will apparently be asked at "the fall of the eleventh" has yet to be asked at said "fall." At first, I thought, "Huh..., I'll bet Clara's the backup plan," because doesn't it make sense that The Silence would have a backup plan? Of course, it does! But that's too simple; this woman clearly is in some sort of weird time loop, where she keeps living over and over but with no apparent memory of her past lives. She'd have to be more than that.
    There is something fishy about her. She seems weirdly obsessed with The Doctor, much like one River Song. She's not regenerating; she's just on repeat. She's too clever, too keen, too much of an anomaly, so what if she isn't merely the backup and the cause of The Question? What if she is the originator of The Silence? What if she somehow is the one who started this whole thing? But why? What could possibly be her motivation? Who would benefit from the fall of The Doctor, and who would benefit from The Doctor, with that remarkable brain of his, remembering?


3. The Master
    When The Master disappeared, he was sucked back into the time lock with all of Gallifrey, unable to ever again darken the door of the TARDIS..., OR WAS HE? 
   A. - We know that The Master is a genius, just like Oswin.
   B. - We know that The Master has made himself human before - and Oswin, at least, appears human, because he has a highly developed sense of self-preservation.
   C. - We know Time Lord's can regenerate as men or women (The Corsair), so it is possible The Master became a woman. I think he would enjoy it. I also think she would find herself inexplicably attracted to The Doctor - it's that whole love and hate, two sides of the same coin thing.
   D. - We know that "if something can be remembered, it can be brought back...," brought back, say, out of a time lock?
   Perhaps The Master is trying to liberate himself? I can see it. I can also see him formulating an exceedingly convoluted plan to make The Doctor the enemy of the universe, and thus, end him. Maybe he's found away to throw himself into The Doctor's timeline, but there's a glitch? But maybe just enough of his plan is bleeding through that he keeps telling The Doctor to remember? Or maybe he has complete control, and Oswin's just a pawn or big, fat liar? Maybe he's causing The Doctor to grow attached to this human girl, so that in the end, the damage is worse? Long story short, The Master has nothing to lose and everything to gain from a plan like this.

    It does have its flaws, of this I am well aware. But I can see it. I don't really trust Oswin - I hate to say it, but it's true. We haven't seen The Master in awhile. It's fairly unexpected, as I haven't seen anyone else thinking of it. Also, Oswin is the one who brought him out of his slummocky retirement, wallowing in his own self-loathing, like Scrooge McDuck in a swimming pool full of doubloons..., which I found worrisome rather than comforting, considering that she'd died already and knew to say the word "Pond." What was that? That was weird... I digress... The point is that you should think it over, and get back to me. 

P.S. - Steven Moffat, whenever you wanna see those episodes, you just give me a holler, pal.

4 comments:

  1. I found this post on Pinterest and thought to myself "Yes, let's go read another Clara theory that's most likely going to try to convince me she's somehow Rose and/or River and/or Donna regenerated or some such craziness". Then I actually read your theory, and I think you broke my brain, but in a good way!

    I never considered she might be connected to The Master somehow, but now that the idea is in there, I'll probably spend the next 3 days putting that story together in my mind. Thanks for that!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Sorry about your brain! I know what you mean; once the thought had popped into my head, I couldn't get it out. Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  2. Hello! I found this post through pinterest, and I was just wondering how you felt about Clara now that the season is over? I just finished it tonight, and I'm having mixed feelings about Clara, and I really liked your theory, but then felt a little crushed, having just seen how they played it out. What do you think? Sorry for the really random comment, and I don't know if it made sense, but I'm just curious:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's the thing about Clara: I like her, but she disappointed me. It's not that Moffat did badly writing her, not at all. It's simply that I had built up this convoluted notion in my head, which I'm still super proud of, just sayin', and then she wasn't as complex as I had hoped. So I'm disappointed, but I only have myself to blame. Haha! And I still haven't learned my lesson, b/c I have another DW theory I'm going to be blogging about shortly. :-)

    ReplyDelete